Subject: [Leica] Tina and Her Computer: Lightening Strike!
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri Jun 25 15:57:14 2004

Thank God I don't live in a lightning-rich part of the world!

But, if I did I'd make sure I had a good uninterruptable power supply
- one where the AC end that plugged into the wall was completely
decoupled from the AC output end so there was a DC battery and then an
inverter between my computer and the nasty stuff going on out on the
power grid. And then an industrial strength bit of surge suppression
on the computer side of the UPS. The lightning strike doesn't have to
be close to send some pretty nasty stuff down the power line to your
house.

And I'd buy a computer that had darned good power supplies built into
it. Which means don't go the cheap route because power supplies are
only one of the items the el cheapo brands scrimp on.

I've never had a major power supply failure on my G4 Macs. . . yet . .
. but I'm sure it could easily happen.

So protect those scanners as well as your computer behind that UPS if
you can afford it.

Brian might have some thoughts on these issues as well. I know I let
my hard drives spin down at night when I sleep my computers. I have
one machine that interacts with the weather station etc that runs all
the time but it's a Cube and that one I let the disk spin down on.
Maybe I'm killing the ozone layer but somehow I doubt it. When I put
the roof top solar arrays on I KNOW I won't be depleting the ozone
layer.

Adam

?

Replies: Reply from mitch.zeissler at verizon.net (Mitch Zeissler) ([Leica] Tina and Her Computer: Lightening Strike!)