Subject: [Leica] Re: An R series question
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Fri Jun 18 15:44:55 2004

Hi Emanuel
Not  quite sure which Doug you meant, there are quite a few of us here,
but as I mentioned the SL2Mot I'll answer too.
I quite agree, without the motor and its pounds of batteries you just
don't get the balance with a heavy lens.
Maybe I've just been lucky with my motor drive, except that I had to do
a botch repair on the battery pack to get it to work.
Both the SL and the SL2 (mot or not) are so sturdy that you feel as if
you could bang nails into teak planks with them (if the mood
should take you). Also the viewfinder is hard to beat and, at least for
telephoto work, the "spot" metering is excellent.
If you really want to be motorised, and don't trust (can't get) an SLmot
or SL2Mot  with motor, then I can still recommend the R5
or R7, if I knew more about it then probably the R-E too, which is only
a simplified R5 anyway. I think the number of times
I've used programm automatic can easily be counted on the fingers of my
left leg.
I too don't particularly like the styling of the R8/R9 and I'm not sure
whether I would ever use the advantages it has over the R7, so
until the older cameras break down irreparably (or somebody "drops one
in my lap") I'll stay away from them.
regards
Douglas
writing from Germany : Herr Douglas , not Douglas Herr  :-)