Subject: [Leica] Hello and New Gallery- Take 2
From: filippini at theramp.net (Matt Filippini)
Date: Mon Jun 7 09:27:14 2004

On 6/6/04 10:49 PM, "Walker Smith" <doubs43@cox.net> wrote:

> Matt,
>
> The Leica is an incomparable photographic instrument and worthy of every
> accolade it's ever been given. OTOH, the Exakta was to SLR's what the
> Leica was to rangefinders. It's unique trapazoidal body remained
> essentially the same until the end of production..... not counting the
> later Praktica-based body of the RTL-1000 or cameras that carried the
> name but were not Ihagee produced. The camera itself is idiosyncratic
> with it's left-hand shutter release, film-cutting knife, separate slow
> shutter speed dial and more. They were well built and reliable and
> capable of taking excellent photographs. Under Communist management they
> didn't evolve and were surpassed by dozens of newer designs with more
> features. Even so, I'd never apologize for owning and using Exaktas.
> They are a fun camera and I'll probably depart this earth with several
> still in my keeping. Of course, I'll also still have my Leicas and
> several other makes too. Just because I own the Rolls-Royce of miniature
> cameras doesn't mean I can't drive other marques too. I enjoy them all.
> I just enjoy the Leicas a bit more.
>
> Walker

Hi Walker-

I didn't mean it as an apology; I love my Exaktas.  It is just that people
have given me the business about them before- their age, no meter, their
shape, their weight, the left handed release, etc.- so I was just letting
everyone know I was ready for some razzing.  I don't mind, and I won't
switch SLR systems.  Thanks for the support.

Matt