Subject: [Leica] Jobo, tricks, and D76
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Jun 5 17:34:36 2004

On 6/5/04 7:57 AM, "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com> wrote:

> Gang,
>
> I am breaking out the old Jobo CPP-2 as I am way behind
> in my film processing.   A quick internet lookup seems
> to indicate a 5-minute pre-soak (to take care of the effects
> of constant agitation), and normal development times,
> which is what I vaguely remember.  Any reason I should
> deviate from that ?
>
> And would the advice hold for 120/220 roll film and large
> format sheet film as well ?
>
> Bill Harting,
> You will be pleased to know that I have been using the
> bulk loader you lent me.  Works like a charm so far.
> Of course, I haven't developed the film.  :-)  Just kidding.
>
> - Phong

Whatever they say to counteract the effects of constant incessant
unremitting interminable rotary agitation I bet you could just do the
presoak for a minute or two. A minute.
In Evian. Or any other water from the top of a mountain in the French alps
in particular. Great for tri x!
In my mind I think of it as "pre wet" not pre soak. It soaks in in seconds
if you ask me. I checked it out with an infrared flashlight once. The same
one I used to make sure my refrigerate light was not on when the door was
closed. And to slip it under the door after I've left the house just to see
what a fine frenzy goes on with the dog.
And format should not make that much of a difference from what I hear about
those sheet film holders for Jobo.
They only way you'd know for sure is if you did a lot of work with the stuff
on a regular basis and tried different things. Like what happened if you
didn?t pre soak. Or one minute pre soak. Or ten minutes pre soak.
I roll my tank on my wet sink about every other agitation cycle which for me
is every minute. And rolling ones metal tank is generally highly recommended
by the in crown. But as I often use 8 roll tanks inversion seems unseemly.
So to heck with them.
Rolling seems to me to be what this little machine of no moving parts wants
to do. So that with the pre soak (also a very "in" thing to NOT do as well
as stop bath) and the fact that it's maybe not every cycle makes for perfect
negs for me in 35mm, 120, and 220. Hewes reels. This does not of course
relate directly to plastic perennial reels but if you hold it up to a tinted
mirror and glance at it out of the corner of your eye it will light up and
say "kiss me baby".

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon