Subject: [Leica] Why New Lenses? This is what all firms do.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun May 30 19:31:57 2004

On 5/30/04 7:37 AM, "martin krieger" <krieger@usc.edu> wrote:

> Most firms have two imperatives to introduce products: Something new and
> better that shows their prowess. Or, something that will sell. Hopefully both.
> But in general ALL firms do both. Sometimes the prowess moves serve larger
> corporate interests, sometimes they serve interests of the research and
> development people in the firm. As far as I can see Leica is no different than
> other firms, whether they are very profitable or not very profitable.
> MK

Another one of those crazy variables many quality businesses take into
account is WHAT THEIR CUSTOMERS NEED and WANT as there seems to be a direct
correlation between the success of these companies and this particular
little variable. So what the heck! - anything to make a buck. You know that
whole "EXCELLENCE" thing?  Another cheep ploy to make a few extra bucks.

The customers actually think the company is making the product so she/he can
use that higher quality product in this case to make a better photographs.
When in actuality, the company is doing it TO MAKE MONEY!
The Horror!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon