Subject: [Leica] Susan Sontag on Iraq Photos
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun May 30 19:09:51 2004

At 11:58 AM 5/25/04 -0400, B. D. Colen wrote:
>Absolutely right - what concerns Rumsfeld and the White House is not the
>acts, but the recording of the acts and the dissemination of the
>recordings-photos.
=====================

BD and Slobodan

The restriction on diaries and photographs by soldiers goes back to World
War I and was introduced and maintained for security reasons.  That is, if
a diary were to be captured by the Other Side, important information might
be gleaned about rear area operations and the like.

Neither Bush nor Rumsfeld introduced this;  it has been in place for some
90 years and there is no one in  authority in the military who wishes it to
be lifted.   It simply makes good sense tio keep your enemy as blind as you
can towards your own actions.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!