Subject: [Leica] FS: Noctilux - now focus tab
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sat May 29 04:36:58 2004

John Collier wrote:

> I tried out the current Summilux at the LHSA spring shoot and I was
> pleased with the results. Only two things annoyed me. The
> auto-collapsing hood and that there was no focusing tab. The new 'lux
> solves both and may even match the performance of my 35/1.4 Asph. That
> is nothing to sneeze at.
>
> I love(d) my Noctilux but the 1m close focus limit is something I was
> constantly finding myself fighting. Once or twice is no problem but
> constantly means I like to work closer with my 50s. If it isn't fitting
> the bill, it has to go.

Am I the only one who don't care for focus tabs ?
I have the current 50mm Summicron, and I just love the way it
focuses: fast, short throw, a ribbed focus ring that is wide enough,
and very smooth action.   I can focus just by sliding my
index finger under it when shooting horizontal.  (For some reason,
I prefer to use 2 fingers to turn the focus rinf when shooting
vertical).

In comparison, when I use my 35mm Summilux Asph (which has
a focus tab), the position of my focusing finger changes with the
position of the focus tab, and that is just not as nice a feeling.
Also, I have to switch from using my thumb (for short distance)
to my index finger, so the action is not as fast.

It just a small detail, but I never understand why some people
prefer the focus tab.

As for collapsible hoods, making them lockable is the right
solution.  I prefer built-in hoods over removable hoods,
if they provide the same protection from flare.  If they are removable,
I am sure to lose them over a long time, and they are expensive
to replace.

- Phong

Replies: Reply from buzz.hausner at verizon.net (Buzz Hausner) ([Leica] Well, I for One Prefer Focus Tabs & Clip-On Shades)
Reply from leicaman at sympatico.ca (Dan Cardish) ([Leica] FS: Noctilux - now focus tab)