Subject: [Leica] Leica newbie inquiry
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Wed May 26 08:02:48 2004

Kevin

First, welcome to the world of film and Leica.  Since the reflex cameras
use a mirror, you need to practice your camera holding and steadying
techniques.  You will find that with some practice you can shoot low light
fairly well.  However, the M cameras have the advantage of no mirror to
cause instability and you can shoot at much slower shutter speeds.  The
down side to the rangefinder is limited long lens usage, which if you do
not require long lenses then there is no problem.  Macro photography with
the M is nonexistent, and is R territory only. Framing is accurate at one
end of the focus range only with the M.  If you only shoot slides then no
problem as the slide frame will take off the excess.  I personally do not
worry about 100% accuracy in framing, I almost always do some minor
cropping anyway.

Gene

|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           k@mail.net                                   |
|         |           Sent by:                                     |
|         |           lug-bounces+grduprey=rockwellcollins.com@leic|
|         |           a-users.org                                  |
|         |                                                        |
|         |                                                        |
|         |           05/26/2004 09:41 AM                          |
|         |           Please respond to Leica Users Group          |
|         |                                                        |
|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                         |
  |       To:       lug@leica-users.org                                                     |
  |       cc:                                                                               |
  |       Subject:  [Leica] Leica newbie inquiry                                            |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Greetings,

Being the technology enthusiast I am, my photography experience has
primarily
revolved around exceptionally uninteresting digital p&s camera shots.  Only
within the last 3 months have I delved in and become enamored with film
photography.  Subject matter of my experimentations have rotated between
urban landscape, architectural, and the occasional street photography.

Due to my lazy^H^H^H^Hminimalistic preferences for toting equipment, most
of
my shots are handheld with either an R4 or R6, using natural and available
light.
Low light conditions have naturally produced utter crap as I am having an
extremely difficult time with the mirror reflex.

So before I continue to spend my hard earned bread purchasing more R
lenses,
I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me of the inherent advantages and
disadvantages of specifically Leica rangefinders VS Leica SLR cameras.

Also,

1. How is accuracy and precision achieved with framing the subject?
2. Especially with macro photography?

Thanks,
kevin