Subject: [Leica] Anyone tried infrared photography on digital cameras?
From: rjr at usip.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Wed May 19 08:34:54 2004

I have used an infrared filter on both the Leica Digilux 1 and the Nikon
D100.

Exposure times can get long, so the best results hand held are during
mid-day.  The images tend to look grainy, just like film IR pictures,
but without the blooming caused by the lack of an anti-halation backing
on the film.

I used a squeeze on filter holder from my 4x5, and a gelatin IR filter.
 This is not too expensive, but you have to be careful that the filter
holder does not fall off when the lens retracts during focusing.
The Lee Gel Snap filter holder is around $20, a Kodak 3x3" (75mm) #87
Opaque Infrared Wratten Gel Filter is around $56.

Another problem with the snap on is that I get lens flare from light
entering from the side of the filter holder.  There are gel holders that
are made for various cameras, so a little research might help you find a
better solution.

Bob Rose

Replies: Reply from despistado at cromosfera.com (jose usoz) ([Leica] Anyone tried infrared photography on digital cameras?)