Subject: [Leica] Let's Hold now a discussion of purchasing philosophies,
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (Robert Palmieri)
Date: Thu Sep 2 08:54:58 2004

Folks -

As usual I see a number of very well-articulated and nuanced views on
display.

Thanks to the folks who confirmed that PhotoVillage is closed; David
Bias wrote to tell me that Rich is on honeymoon in Italy.  Web access
has been severely limited for me during the last few weeks; I see now
that Rich posted a notice of closure on his website.  Looks like I'll be
in and out of New York periodically from now 'till the end of the year,
and I'll Be Baahck...

Speaking of philosophy, I'm damn glad that Rich is out of the shop.  The
concept that some folks seem to have (not the enlightened types that
populate the LUG, mind you) that a shopkeeper and staff should be
available 24/7 to serve their occasional browsing needs bugs me.

I, too, have had very good experiences dealing with B&H online.  I just
don't think it's the place to go for live interactive shopping.  I was
looking forward to a possible PhotoVillage thing, though...

I do try to spread my purchases around, and don't mind paying a bit
extra (said bit being a somewhat fluid thing) to support my local guys.

Bob Palmieri