Subject: [Leica] C8080
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu May 6 10:13:29 2004

EXCELLENT point, Ted, which I'll admit I hadn't thought about - DOH! But
shooting this way does mean really "seeing" in b&w not just capturing
images on mono stock. It wasn't something I thought about with this one
shot, although I was struck by how 'right' the scene looked. When I've
used the C5050 and C5060 in black and white mode the shadows were more
blocked up, and it didn't look right.

Now, will be produce more soul-filled photos? It'll be interesting to
see. The thing that particularly excites me about this is that I know
Olympus was muttering about hoping to have a b&w mode on the next
iteration of the E-1, and what they've done with this in the C8080
indicates to me that they have software folks who are really thinking
about this in a serious way; this clearly is not just the in-camera
equivalent of a photoshop "convert to grayscale" - it's very close to
the Fred Miranda conversion....