Subject: [Leica] Re:two sets of aperature blades
From: Summicron1 at aol.com (Summicron1@aol.com)
Date: Wed May 5 07:51:59 2004

since no one else is going to give you a straight answer to this, I will. I
once asked Leitz the same question after half a day of pondering my brand new
40 mm summicron and 90 mm elmar that came with my brand new Leica CL, back in
dusty ancient history ca. 1975.

No, your lens does not have two sets of aperature blades. One is sufficient.

What you see from the rear is the U-shaped interior edges of the apreature
blades coming together as they close down, it gives an illusion of there being a
second set, but it's really just the continued inside edge of the blade from
one side of the barrel to the other. At f-22 they come together in the middle.

There are some cameras that have a double shutter sort of arrangement, such
as the Voigtlander Prominent, which uses a blind behind the shutter to make
sure there is no light leaking through the Compur shutter blades. It opens just
before the shutter clicks. But that is not the case with a Leica either.

c. trentelman