Subject: [Leica] Ideal Wedding Kit?
From: lea at whinydogpress.com (lea)
Date: Sat May 1 12:47:48 2004

Len,

I can only think your nephew asked you to photograph his wedding because
he's seen your work and likes it. Don't change anything! Use the film
you're used to, the lenses you're used to, and shoot how you're used to
doing it. Shoot with your Leica gear, have your wife shoot with her
Nikon gear and just shoot.

If it looks like it might be an interesting shot, shoot it...you can
always edit later.

There is no best way to do a wedding...and I've done many. Last weekend
I shot one using my Canon 10D with an f/2.8 50mm lens for everything but
the group shots where I switched to my Canon 28-105mm. I had LOADS more
equiment in my bag that never got used simply because I didn't know what
I'd need before I got there.

I'm shooting another this evening and will take my loads and loads of
gear and likely only shoot with the simplest of tools. I love when that
happens but a girl must be prepared for whatever may come.

You could look at my site to see some of the weddings I've shot in the
past year. I find scoping out wedding web sites to be very, very
inspiring and gives me good ideas to have in my back pocket.
http://www.whinydogpress.com/wedding1.html

If I had to pick any shots to give undivided attention to it would be
the bride and groom together...they are what the day is about, they are
what everyone wants to remember and they are what sell. Also, small
groups at the reception are great to have...often the b&g don't get
around to everyone or they don't remember everyone and these group shots
are a fine reminder of who all attended and enjoyed their special day.
We do these very casually...my assistant will go up to a small group
visiting during drinks or dancing and ask if they'd mind being
photographed; never has anyone said no. I never shoot during eating;
someone ALWAYS has a mouth open. I use that time to shoot little detail
shots...the cake, flowers, signs, programs, napkins, whatever may be the
special details.

Tips and tricks:
don't use any gear you aren't already familiar with
use as much natural light as possible
if it looks  like a good shot, it probably is
you can't have too many extra batteries
shoot any kids
don't be afraid to ask for time alone with the bride and groom away from
the after-party then shoot them like mad (one of my favorite ways to do
this is just to ask them to hug and visit with each other then I work
around them in a circle shooting her ring, his ring, how she touches his
face and hair, how he touches her bum, etc....)

You'll know most of the people at the wedding since it's family and
they're all already used to you and your camera so just do the thing you
know how to do.

Oh, and have fun,
Lea