Subject: [Leica] Mark Rabinor and his wonderful new exposure mode
From: dante at umich.edu (dante@umich.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 28 20:03:36 2004

No money in it and not that much to it.

On my camera (a Kodak 14n), the histogram is already graduated in half stops,
including into the ERI range.  If I see that the histo is too far to the left,
I just crank up the exposure counting the hash marks.  Not really much to it.
For Mark's system to work on an SLR, you would need to shoot two exposures.

Frankly, I would not want a computer setting the histogram, because it does not
know what the scene is supposed to look like (the fact that the histogram
touches the right side is insignificant; the real game is in the distribution -
how much of the picture is highlight?  Camera has no idea.

And on digital, just like film, ISO is not linear.  It's the amount of
electrical gain, and the response is anything but linear - as is the
calibration.