Subject: [Leica] Half frame M 4-2
From: LeicaNikon at earthlink.net (Stephen Gandy)
Date: Fri Apr 23 10:04:44 2004

I suppose the way to verify the half frame serial numbers with the Leica
archives (or your own invoices from Leica), but as you know, the list info is
not always accurate as there are several serial number lists.

Leica was planning to market a half frame M, that is why the parts were made up
in Midland.  If I recall correctly, the M4-22 even appeared in a few brochure
listings, but it did not make it to the end of a regular production assembly
line.

when Midland shut down, I am told that parts for several hundred half frame M's
were disposed of, even parts for the half frame Leica 72, not to mention many
other goodies including blank top plates and the even the Midland engraving
machine.  of course, after the parts left Midland they became untraceable, as
they could change hands after that before eventually showing up as a
"prototype."

Stephen