Subject: [Leica] On-film resolution (if it is X lp/mm, what size letters should I be able to read with a magnifier?)
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Apr 15 18:47:12 2004

Martin,
Since no one has replied to your question as we try to roll the rock up
the hill I will give you a simple answer or at least a direction.

First, you have to assume that the lens is the limiting factor.  Using a
good extremely fine grain film will net you in the area of 150 LPM.  In
35mm the best lenses will resolve about 100 LPM.  Therefore, the
smallest thing on film that is identifiable will be in the region of
1/100 mm (it takes two to tango).

The above assumes that the subject is in the plane of focus, otherwise,
all bets are off.  You can't really go into coc, atmospheric
disturbance, lens aberrations affecting oof areas and lots of other
options without experience with a specific lens at specific distances
and specific lighting conditions.

Personal experience tells me that with a 50mm lens (DR) at optimum
aperture at infinity I can resolve hair at more than 500 yards on Velvia
and high contrast lighting conditions.

As to the satellite thing, think about wavelengths of light and their
effect on resolution as well as really and I mean really long base
sampling as in side scanning radar and you will get some comprehension
of how the satellite boys and girls see the things that they see.

I hope this helps.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com