Subject: [Leica] R 90mm Elmarit's sweet spot?
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue Apr 13 08:01:29 2004

Eric,
I must admit astonishment that your 90 Elmarit R is soft.  I have one of
the 90's for the original Leicaflex and put up with stop down metering
for the sharpness of the image.  I also use the current Elmarit for the
M line and it is also faultless (very similar optics to the R lens).  I
can only conclude that your sample is somehow lacking.

With all that said, you requested info about the APO lenses so:
The 100 is a macro, has a really long helical and consequently images
come into focus slowly.  This is a good thing for macro, not so good for
general purpose photography.  As others have said, it is very crisp at
all apertures and at all distances.

The 90 APO is slightly smaller than the 100, doesn't focus as close
(duh), does give you a really useful F2.  Like all Leica APO lenses, it
is useable at all apertures providing stunning images if you do your
job.

Really, you are going to have to try both, it truly comes down to
handling.  The images each can produce are near diffraction limited.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com