Subject: [Leica] Slides the cat has gone to kitty heaven
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Thu Apr 15 03:02:00 2004

Mark,
So sorry to hear of your tragedy. I remember well a couple of years ago
sitting on a beach in the North of England
and crying my eyes out after we heard from the vet that our Lucy had
passed on. On the day before we left
for our annual holiday in the UK she was savaged by two free running
Dobermann dogs (whose owner had
been instructed to keep them on leads after they ripped a Yorkshire
terrier to pieces before  its owners eyes)
I'll never forget her look as she lay in my arms at the vets door - sad,
shocked, wide-eyed, she , as usual, pressed
her nose against my face.  Then miaowed quietly as if to say  - well
that was it.
She looked superficially ok after the vet had cleaned her of all the
slaver  and dirt, she had managed to get back home
on her own, she'd probably been sunbathing on her favourite spot behind
the garden. We found her on the back step
when her sister Posy came to us growling - which usually means something
needs looking at.
So we left for the UK in high hopes that she would be ok when we get
back. The bad news reached us in England
and I just broke up. Sad because she had gone and sad because we weren't
there to see her go.
When we got back the vet said her sister probably wouldn't notice that
she was now alone - we thought he was
right until, one night quite some time later , on TV, somebody in a film
said "Where's Lucy", Posy jumped up
and searched the house and garden looking for her sister - so much for
cats not having a memory!
Cats don't do much, don't come when they don't want to and our Posy
seems to want to commit
genocide on garden voles, but  they always come when THEY know you need
them.
Posy has since developed a habit of tucking us into bed every night,
walking around the duvet and pressing down the edges
before she lies down at the end of the bed, which used to be only her
sisters territory, and now refuses to leave the bounds
of the garden.
I hope Lucy and Slides meet up in heaven , where the fridges and cans
are always open,

I shouldn't have written this , I can hardly see for tears again after
all this time.
Douglas

Replies: Reply from dkhong at pacific.net.sg (DKhong) ([Leica] Slides the cat has gone to kitty heaven)