Subject: [Leica] London
From: leica.list at cpeacock.us (Charles Peacock)
Date: Fri Apr 9 20:34:43 2004

I was there about a month ago and the London Eye at dusk is pretty amazing -
even at ?11 for 30 minutes. If you go, make sure you don't have a knife with
you, it's owned & run by British Air and they have airline style security.

The National Portrait Gallery has a large show of Cecil Beaton's work hung
through May 31st. It was easily worth the ?7 they wanted for admission.

The Covent Garden market on Saturday or Sunday afternoon is good for street
performers.

I found Camden Town on Sunday afternoon good for "people watching".

Be prepared for lots of dull, overcast days.

If you have one, take a debit card instead of cash or travelers' checks. I
paid about US$0.10 less per ?1 using a debit card than I would have
exchanging cash to travelers' checks at a bank -- even at the US$1000 level.
In addition to being accepted almost everywhere, the British ATMs accepted
ours without question.

Get back to me if you want ideas on where to stay, how to get around, etc.

If you are interested, you can see some of the pictures from our March trip
at http://www.cpeacock.us/gallery/London/base0.html. Some of these are
actually Leica images -- if you count a Digilux Zoom (1.3 megapixels).

Chuck Peacock