Subject: [Leica] a word about the Contax T
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Fri Apr 9 10:32:53 2004

i had a TERRIBLE time locating a contax T at any price
from KEH, or any of my usual sources.

i finally found a couple at tamarkin.  tamarkin was great--
when i found the metering and rangfinder was off they took
it back and did all the work on it gratis.

jean-marc's mail reminder me of 2 things:

i did forget to mention that T is very nearly silent; more
so even than the M.

frame spacing is not its strong suit; it uses only one
set of rachets to advance the film.  this used to be
a problem with the old stype ilford XP1 cassettes
(remember them, they were built almost like reloadable
casettes) but not with new types.

and the rangefinder, while nice, should not be considered
in the league of the leica M.  the edges of the rangefinder
patch are a bit fuzzy and sometimes it's dificult to get
your subject squarely inside it.

the only camera that can be remotely compared with the T
is the Olympus XA, which was a far cheaper camera,
and replaced quality with ingenuity.  my biggest problem
was the lens, which vignettted at wide apertures, and
my examples never produced the snappy sharpness of the contax.

since i never sell cameras (any more than i would sell my
children) i still own both cameras.

-rei