Subject: [Leica] Kodak B&W 400 film
From: Leicajay at aol.com (Leicajay@aol.com)
Date: Wed Mar 31 05:53:15 2004

<<In a message dated 03/30/2004 11:53:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pklein@2alpha.net writes:
I just received several rolls of Kodak "Black and White 400" C-41 film from
a local lab, in compensation for a recent Anomalous Processing
Experience.  They only had consumer film, so when I mentioned T400CN, they
offered Black and White 400 as being pretty much equivalent.  I vaguely
recall it being mentioned favorably here, so I accepted it.

Has anyone here used both Black and White 400 and either T400CN or Portra
400 B&W?  Is B&W 400 similar in  characteristics to the latter pro films,
or is it significantly different in some way?  At a glance, the pertinent
info on the Kodak data sheets looked pretty similar if not identical.>>
I've used all three.  B&W 400 is identical to Portra B&W, is easier for your
garden-variety minilab (i.e. some pierced/tattooed snotnose this-is-just-a-job
type running the machine) to print on color paper and have it look like B&W.
T400CN takes a lot of dedication and tweaking to print well on color paper,
is easier printed on b&w paper.

<<Yes, I know both the old pro films are now discontinued and replaced with
Yet Another Film, Professional BW400CN.  This week, anyway.>>
Huh?  That's really bad news, though not surprising.   The number of film
emulsions will continue to shrink at an accelerated pace unless more people do
more than just pay lipservice to their "film will be around forever" mantra, and
get out there and buy some.

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Kodak B&W 400 film)