Subject: [Leica] Re:M 135 options
From: cummer at netvigator.com (howard cummer)
Date: Mon Mar 29 18:02:49 2004

At 03:42 PM 29/03/04 -0800, you wrote:
>Will soon buy an M 135 mm and would like users'
>opinions/comments/anecdotes/cautions about the 3.4 APO and old glass (such
>as the 2.8). Have read Erwin Puts material, but would like some hands-on
>input closer to the photo world I inhabit. Lean toward a new 3.4 simply 'cuz
>I've had wretched luck over the years with anything used; must admit,
>however, that I am tempted by the extra stop and significant price
>differential of the old glass.

Hi Greg,
I can't believe it is nearly 3 years since we had coffee in Chicago and
visited Central Camera. Time flies when you are having fun! About the 135 -
I have an old 135 Elmar - the one with removable head - that I bought at
Bill Bagnall's swap meet in LA for $200 about 15 - 20 years ago. I briefly
had a 135 2.8 but hated the eyes and the lens was soft wide open. I have
considered getting a 135 APO but the expense outweighs the amount of use I
would give it. I suggest you go to Central Camera (say hello to Albert for
me) and buy a 135 Elmar and try to determine if you really like the focal
length on an M series camera. For me the viewfinder frame is too tiny and I
find myself switching to SLRs above 90mm. The great thing about old Elmars
is that if you decide you don't like the 135 length then you won't be out
much money when you sell it. If you don't sell it the detachable head makes
a great loupe for looking at negatives. (You remember negatives - the
things we had before digital). :-). Cheers
Howard (still in Hong Kong)
Warm Regards
Howard