Subject: [Leica] Re: PAW
From: MEB at GoodPhotos.com (Michael E. Berube)
Date: Mon Mar 29 15:37:34 2004

Wouldn't it be more useful if we could us the 'angle of view' for any given lens on the particular body that we happen to be using it?
In trying to explain to people interested in your typical digicam I often find myself saying "It will give you a similar angle of veiw as 35 to 105mm lenses on a 35mm camera" and then I realise how absolutely useless that statement is if to the typical point and shooter who doesn't even know the difference between a telephoto lens and a zoom. If I could say instead this lens will give you a maximum frame field of view of ~35 to ~12 degrees it would probably seem simpler. Most people can grok simple angles.

For lenses on the Nikon DX sensor for example:

Width = 15.6 mm, Length = 23.7 mm, Diagonal = 28.3734 mm

  focal length	Horizontal angle of view
 14.0	 			80.4911
 16.0	 			73.0491
 18.0	 			66.7165
 17.0	 			69.7575
 20.0	 			61.2935
 24.0	 			52.5557
 28.0	 			45.8776
 35.0	 			37.4093
 50.0	 			26.6662
 60.0	 			22.3443
 70.0	 			19.2165
 85.0	 			15.8731
100.0	 			13.5161
135.0	 			10.0329
180.0	  			7.5331
200.0	  			6.7816
300.0	  			4.5240
400.0	  			3.3938
500.0	  			2.7153
600.0	  			2.2629

This site would be useful for such discussions:
http://www.sweeting.org/mark/lenses/#calc

Carpe Luminem,
Michael Eric Berube
GoodPhotos.com