Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 12: Madrid Atocha a week later
From: n.wajsman at chello.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Mar 29 13:10:27 2004

On March 18th, exactly a week after the train bombings in Madrid, I had
to go there by train from Seville. I arrived at Puerta Atocha, the
hardest-hit station. I was struck by the scale of the spontaneous
memorials both inside and outside the station, and the genuine emotions
displayed by the many, many people around them. I offer these pictures
as a pale recording of that, nothing more. But I simply have no other
choice for the PAW for week 12.

A woman lights another candle:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_12.jpg

A couple looks on:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_12alt1.jpg

A girl adds her message to the many already there:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_12alt2.jpg

A man reading the messages:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_12alt3.jpg

Details of the messages; most of them express grief, but the political
situation also intrudes:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_12alt4.jpg

Walking away from the main entrance:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_12alt5.jpg

A spontanteous small memorial along the side fence of the station:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_12alt6.jpg

All pictures with the Leica CL, 25mm Snapshot Skopar, the main on
Ektachrome 100G, the rest on Fuji Provia 400F.

The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/indexpaw2004.html
and comments and critique are always welcome and appreciated.

Nathan
--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands