Subject: [Leica] A must have book.
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Mar 29 12:39:48 2004

"the fat baby - stories by eugene richards," arguably belongs on any
list of the first five 'must-have' books for anyone interested in
serious documentary photography/photojournalism. (The other four? Robert
Frank's "The Americans," "HCB - The Man, The Image & The World,"
"Requiem," and "Dream Street: W. Eugene Smith's Pittsburgh Project.")

"the fat baby" is a massive book - more than 300 images, 17 text
stories, and about 420 pages, in which Richards tells stories about, or
connect to, the groups of images from an assortment of assignments and
projects that have been shot and reported since the early 90s. Most of
these photos have not been in books before.

The text is not about the photos, and there are no captions. Instead,
the texts tell the stories of the people, and Richard's experiences,
connected to the photos. Some of the texts are extremely
self-revelatory, and a number of them are extremely moving. While not as
good a writer as he is a photographer, he is still a very good writer -
a far better writer than anyone who is such an outstanding photographer
should be expected to be.

This truly is a seminal work, and would be well worth the high price of
admission ($100 - about $65 on Amazon) even if one only got the final
story and photos documenting Richards' last trip to his boyhood home to
help his elderly father finish packing up for a move to Florida.

B. D.