Subject: Re: [Leica] D-2 impressions
From: Laurelgroup <mcahill@laurelgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:15:50 -0500

My D2 was delivered last week.  I had a chance to take it out for a run over
the weekend.  A couple of impressions:

€ The images I've looked at on screen, especially in RAW format are
gorgeous. I have a couple of other digitals, including a Canon 10D, the
images from the D2 are sharper, more saturated and lacking in that "digital"
look.

€ While not the build quality of an MP, the D2 is an enormous improvement
over the D1, which I though was cheap and clunky.  The body has a solid,
quality camera feel to it. I've not handled the Olympus 8080, but as far as
a comparison is concerned it seems to fare well:

http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/olympus-c8080.shtml

€ For those of used used to the standard camera feel and controls, the
operation of this camera is the more intuitive than any digital I've come
across.  Everything is where you think it should be.

Generally I think Van Riper's review nails it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/essays/vanRiper/040219.htm

Lastly, as a member of the LUG, while not a noisy one, I've listened to
Leica offering after Leice offering bashed over the past years.  Two
comments:

1) If not for the interest in the company's products, why are we members?
2) If you don't own it, or haven't used it, practical critiques of a product
are just so much digital noise.

My .02 worth.

MC