Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: RD-1 lens suitability
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:40:49 -0800 (PST)

There is a similar issue with the ordinary Bessas, because of the double
shutter.  The outer shutter is further forward than the Leica cloth
shutter.  It can be crunched by some of the collapsible and wide-angle
lenses. On the collapsibles, a simple ring of Dymo tape can be affixed to
the barrel, preventing the lens from collapsing too far.

I suspect that the passage mentioned below has been partially "lost in
translation." The 21mm lenses probably extend too far into the body.  The
Dual-Range Summicron has some kind of mechanical issue in the Bessa R2.
But the 50mm Elmar and Hektor are probably OK to use as long as you don't
collapse them fully.

See: http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtBR2.htm, scroll to the last two
sections, titled "what lenses don't fit," and "collapsible lenses."

- --Peter