Subject: [Leica] Re:Digital "needs"
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:30:10 EST

In a message dated 3/12/04 7:02:57 AM,
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us writes:

<< Right off let's understand the words "need" and "desire" have different
meanings. There is nothing that can be done with digital that cannot be
done with film. No need was filled that had not been filled before.
None.  >>

I don't know about that. It's tough to stuff film directly from the camera
into a modem and transmit a picture across the country in a couple of seconds.
Back in the dark ages we used to do the same thing with a wirephoto machine but
the film had to be developed and printed first and transmission times often
took 1/2 hour. Much of the timely photo coverage of the Iraq war would have
been impossible without digital. I agree, though, that a 65 line newspaper screen
is a great leveler and it doesn't much matter if the photo was taken with a
Leica or a Baby Brownie.

Larry Z