Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V26 #254
From: Aaron Sandler <aaron.sandler@duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 11:27:52 -0500

At 12:30 AM 3/9/2004, Ted Grant wrote:
>Aaron Sandler showed:
> > >Just an average Friday night with friends: board (or maybe bored?) games
> > >and suture removal.
> > >
> > >http://www.duke.edu/~ajs2/PAW/2004_10/
> > >
> > >I'm wishing I had chosen to focus on the "patient's" eyes for the second
>one.<<<
>
>Hi Aaron,
>No comment on the first photo. But the second.
>
>No you don't want to focus on the patient's eyes, he's not looking at what's
>going on. He's off acting to some other person and not to the main action of
>the picture. Besides he has a stupid expression on his face inrelation to
>your caption of "sutures being removed."
>
>Besides the strength of the picture is in the foreground, the hands of the
>doctor/nurse removing the sutures. I'd have cropped it to remove the
>patient's eyes and his mouth, an impossible task in this picture.
>
>Therefore I'd have found a better angle or moved right in tight on the
>important element... the hands doing their thing.
>
>ted

Thanks for your feedback, Ted.

The reason I suggested focusing more on his face is that the goofy
expression was due to him trying to stay cool (in front of friends) despite
his squeamishness with the process.  It was that emotion that I was hoping
to show, but I don't think I quite managed to capture.  I was thinking that
a change in focus would have shown that better, but now I think you're
right: it's just not there. Perhaps if I'd caught a better moment and
expression it would have worked somewhat better.

Regardless, I think this may be another example of the photographer/me
"seeing" something more from my memory of the situation than from what's
actually in the photo.  Something for me to work on.

I appreciate the comments,
Aaron