Subject: RE: [Leica] Digilux 2 question
From: "Leonard J Kapner" <ljkapner@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 13:55:06 -0800

Dan,

I just examined the D2 sitting on my desk, patiently waiting for me to take
it for a walk, just like my dog!

The rings on the lens barrel used to adjust aperture, focal length and focus
seem to be of a high grade black plastic, quite similar in feel to the metal
finish on R lenses, minus the weight of course.

I suspect that the focus mechanism is some sort of helicoid, as there is no
servo sound when focusing manually. But given that one has AF and AF Macro
options as well as MF, there has to be some servo activity inside for the AF
options. I cannot tell from visual interrogation or reading the detailed
specifications in the User's Guide, so perhaps we'll have to wait for
someone to take his apart to know for sure. :-)

I know there are a lot of D2 "nay-sayers" out there, but I've got to say
this is the most camera-like digital rig I've used thus far,  excepting the
Nikon D1X/D100 which is very conventional SLR-like.

I hope this explanation is of help to you.

Len

- --