Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Ambient light + Strobe metering question
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:41:48 -0800

On 3/4/04 5:20 AM, "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com> wrote:

> eric wrote, in response to Mark; I am not Mark, but what the hell :-):
>>
>> Nope - on my sekonic, when set to flash mode, you can only enter
>> the shutter speed. The f stop field remains blank until you fire
>> the flash.
>

> Hi Eric,
>
>> Nope - on my sekonic, when set to flash mode, you can only enter
>> the shutter speed.
>
> No contradiction here, Mark suggested how you could set the f stop
> on your flash meter.
>
> Assuming you want a f 5.6 reading:
>> ... set the camera at f 5.6 then take a [meter] reading.
>> If the reading says f8 then dial it [flash] down
>>    a stop to make [the meter] it then read 5.6 if it [flash] dials down.
>> Or bring it [flash] further away.
>> Or use more layers of fiberglass mesh.
>> Or change the reflector from a silver to white one.
>>   or normal to wide one.
>

> - Phong

I made a misstate. It should have not read
> You are aware that when you take a flash reading you set the flash meter
> first for what f stop you are using? Even at low ambient light levels moving
> 4 stops of shutter speed might give you a quarter of a stop density change
> on your main subject from your flash. So take the flash reading at the f
> stop you plan on using for the most accurate result.

But it should have read
 "So take the flash reading at the SHUTTER SPEED you plan on using for the
most accurate result."
Not f stop
I don't think there would be a way to "Set" the f stop on a flash meter
ahead of time.
The flash meter tells you what that f stop is based on how bright the flash
is when you take a reading. I suppose flash duration comes to play in it and
the flash meter accounts for that.

And yes I know about the flash meters in which you pre determine what f stop
you want and it tells you how many pops you need to get that. Does not do us
much good shooting the kids or hand held Leica shooting.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland, Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/