Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Anyone want to help me spend some money on a digital darkroom?
From: Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 22:33:00 -0500

On Mar 3, 2004, at 8:59 PM, Eric wrote:

> Aaron:
>
>> 6) Monitor calibration--$150.  Spyder with Photocal.
>
> I'd keep it in the budget, but don't buy it yet.  Get everything else,
> and
> see what kind of problems you have callibrating your monitor by
> yourself.
> Especially if you're doing your own printing, I'm thinking this is
> probably
> $150 you can save.

I disagree. While I am generally considered to have a good eye (i.e. I
am not grossly colorblind :-) my ability to calibrate monitor "by eye"
pales in comparison to the accuracy of the Spyder (I use a Mac G5/23"
Cinema HD monitor) ... aside from Photoshop itself and the Epson 2200,
this is the best money spent. I'd say some type of calibration device
is IMHO essential to getting high quality results.

Proper color calibration (camera/scanner/monitor/printer/paper) is
perhaps the most important part of printing done right.

Jonathan

Message from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Anyone want to help me spend some money on a digital darkroom?)