Subject: RE: [Leica] Anyone want to help me spend some money on a digital darkroom?
From: Aaron Sandler <aaron.sandler@duke.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:43:25 -0500

At 02:30 PM 3/3/2004, BD wrote:
>Sounds quite good. I might add the upgrade to Photoshop CS - you will
>NOT regret a penny of the expense. And I would also consider the
>Microtex (sp) version of the old Polaroid 4000 scanner. It does a great
>job, and you'll save some money over the Nikon. But that's nit picking.
>Boy, all that computer for $1k...amazing.

CS sounds good, but it may have to wait a little while.  I really can't let
this creep up any higher in cost, so CS would mean skipping the Spyder,
which doesn't seem like such a good idea.  Maybe later on.

It is indeed pretty amazing how much computer you can get for a grand these
days.  If you're willing to go through a little hassle, anyway.  The Dell
website is kind of confusing and a lot of their best prices get offset by
overexpensive upgrades.  To get that computer for $1000 during the recent
sale I missed would have involved ordering a stripped down version for
around $650 and adding RAM, a 2nd hard drive, and a CD/DVD burner from
newegg.com.  Ordering a ready-to-roll version from Dell would raise the
price a few hundred dollars.

Scannerwise, I found the Microtek Artixscan 4000t.  Is this the one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=185547&is=REG&si=spec#goto_itemInfo

If so, it seems to only have a SCSI connection, which my computer will be
lacking, so it may be out of the running.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Aaron