Subject: Re: DOF? Was: Re: [Leica] WAS-Leica M and Cosina Digitals. NOW-DOF
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:58:07 -0800

on 3/2/04 3:50 PM, Dan Post at dpost@triad.rr.com wrote:

> Doug-
> Do you use an R system or an M? I have seen some of your work and you don't
> seem to be having too much trouble getting them in focus!
> Also- while on the topic of birds- do you shoot from some sort of blind or
> can you just put the sneak on 'em? I would guess a blind of some sort with
> the camera on a tripod from the apparent shrpness of them.
> I have to admit, about the only wildlife I am adept at photographing are
> those critters at the petting zoo! :o)
> Dan

Dan, I use R system, mostly Leicaflex SL and SL2.  Sharp focus is easy with
these cameras.  The latest pheasant and nearly all the sparrows are from a
blind at my back yard feeder, and there are probably 3 or 4 other photos on
my website where I used a blind, but for the most part I'm in the open where
they can see me.  Many of the photos are made hand-held (with shoulder
stock) or with a combination of shoulder stock and monopod.  I find a tripod
to be worse than useless in many field conditions, despite its sharpness
advantages.