Subject: [Leica] Digilux 2 short hands-on test
From: Leicajay@aol.com
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:23:31 -0500

My local dealer got a Digilux2 for a customer yesterday and I had the chance to handle it while he was there to pick it up.  I was surprised at the size, it is about 30% thicker (deeper) than an M camera, and sized between a CL and an M but closer to an M (we had both for comparison in the store).  It's also *heavy* for a non-DSLR, the heaviest P&S digicam I've ever held.  Finish is really nice pseudo-Leica, much nicer than the Miniluxes.  The lens (according to the store owner, I forgot to verify this, sounds fishy) takes a 69mm filter????  The electronic viewfinder is not as bad as ones I've seen in the past (Minolta Dimage 7Hi, Nikon 5700) but it ain't no rangefinder.  The zigzag built-in flash  has great features but a complicated deployment that could be troublesome, time will tell.  The manual-camera-type interface is a welcome relief from the multiple pushbuttons, dials and LCD menus which must be memorized in order to work other digicam P&S's.  The coverage of the lens is really a perfect range for the type of general snapshooting, travel-documentation, etc photography this camera will probably be used for by 90% of its (most likely very small # of) buyers and the extensive depth of field at even the "equivalent" 90mm end (actually 22.7mm) might be useful for that kind of shooting.  But if you like to emphasize a subject against an OOF background, forget it, it's impossible (well maybe there's a way to cheat and do it in Photoshop, I wouldn't know).   Will I buy one:  in a word, no.  It's $350 more than a Canon 10D, which I *can* use selective DOF and a whole host of interchangeable lenses and which has a much larger chip.  At 5MP with a postage-stamp sized chip the Digilux 2 is already way behind the curve, as the latest digicam P&S's which cost a lot less are coming in at 8MP.  And with the Epson-Bessa M-mount digicam in the offing, and a real Leica M digital confirmed, I will wait.  The Digilux 2 looks and feels very nice, if it were under $1000 I'd probably buy one, but not for $1850, no way.

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Digilux 2 short hands-on test)