Subject: [Leica] Re: Printing costs
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:43:23 EST

In a message dated 2/26/04 4:06:54 PM,
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us writes:

<< >Which brings me to the meandering of the the digital "I can shoot all
>day for free if I shoot digital" crowd. Film is a small part of the cost
>of print making. Don't you people ever print out anything? Or is there
>anything worth printing when you shoot with dollar signs obscuring your
>eyes? Or haven't you noticed that a nice jet ink print printed on good
>paper with obscenely expensive inks (a recent magazine estimated the
>cost of Epson inks at $99.00 a pound) cost more than a conventional print?

You guys who print everything are clearly much better photographers than me.
I estimate that only one in ten of my pictures are worth enlarging to greater
than 4x6". I'm also one of those guys that is incapable of assessing ultimate
picture quality from a postage stamp sized negative in reversed colors so I
printed up far more pictures than I wanted to keep. My wastebasket was
overflowing.

Digital has been a godsend. I can view scads of pictures on a 20" monitor and
print only those that are decent. At current prices for quality inkjet inks
and photo quality paper, my wallet thanks me.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from sam <sam@osheaven.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Printing costs)