Subject: RE: [Leica] Embedded Brit journalists will receive Iraq Campaign medal
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:54:38 -0500

At 02:09 PM 2/25/04 -0500, B. D. Colen wrote:

>On the other hand, why do I doubt that Hanoi could reach a given unit in
>time with information gathered from monitoring CBS evening news
>broadcasts - assuming that they were sitting in the U.S. watching them?
>Remember, we're not talking about CNN and broadcasts beamed 'round the
>Globe.

BD

Great to be in touch with you again, of course.  The Soviet Embassy and the
Chinese Interest Section of the era monitored all US broadcasts and
immediately sent their analysis of broadcasts home (precisely as the US and
UK and German and so forth embassies and delegations in Moscow and Peking
did, as well)  Radio transmissions from Hanoi to the RVN took less than a
tenth of a second.  That is, a Soviet analyst reads the news in real time,
at, say, 7:30 PM on a Sunday night (which would be around 8:30 AM in
Viet-Nam).  By 8:00, his analysis has been sent to the Soviets, by 8:30,
they have sent this on to Hanoi, and by 9:00 PM US time (10:00 AM Viet-Nam
time) the information had been forwarded to the tactical units of the DRVA
in the RVN.

The US military would do this in a lot less time, but I am accomodating the
difficulties required for translation in the COMECON  loop (English to
Russian to Vietnamese, while the US has always insisted on all-English
transmissions.)

Thus, the Bad Guys would have known of US plans before noon, with plenty of
time to respond.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!