Subject: RE: [Leica] Embedded Brit journalists will receive IraqCampaignmedal
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:43:09 -0500

At 11:22 AM 2/24/04 -0500, B. D. Colen wrote:
>Right...That's what I thought...My point was that I find it
>inappropriate for independent journalists - which I'm sure you were and
>are - to receive medals from any government - u

BD

A campaign ribbon is not a an award for performance -- it is simply a
statement that the recipient was there.  My father received three
decorations in the Second World War for such -- the American Defense
Service Medal. the Asiatic-Pacific Medal, and the World War II Victory
Medal  -- and all but one of mine were similar (the National Defense
Service Medal (for being in a Reserve unit during the first Iraq War), the
Armed Forces Reserve Medal (two awards, each one for ten years of duty in
the Reserves), the Army Reserve Commendation Medal (four awards, each one
for four years of duty in a Reserve Component unit), and the Army Service
Ribbon (for completing my Basic Officer Course -- they don't give you
credit for attendng other courses, though I ended up with two Basic Courses
to my credit)  Only my Army Commendation Medal was for solid service.

For a journalist who was present to accept a recognition that he was
present hardly compromises his neutrality.  It simply states that he was
there.  And, in the UK, everyone wears their decorations on appropriate
holidays, so this gives the journalists something to wear when their
neighbors are flaunting valour decorations from the Falklands and the like.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!