Subject: Re: [Leica] help critique my lighting
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:19:41 -0500

Eric-
the soft box is good for the kids and casual shots, but your crop0028 of the
young lady shows what might be called 'broad lighting' (no puns intended).
The face is at an angle, and the main portion of the light is falling on the
broad side of the face. This tend to make the face look fuller, where as if
you moved the light to the other side (or more easily- have the model turn
to her left) the light would hit the more narrow side (it used to be called
'short' lighting) and makes a more flattering portrait.
With the ladies, using what is called 'butterfly' lighting works really
well, but you need two light, equidistant from either side of the camera-
it's called butterfly lighting because the shadow under the subject's nose
should be even on both side, and in sort of a butterfly shape.
Crop0003 is really nice of the kids- it looks like you are getting the idea!
BTW- don't you think the 90 make a nice portrai lens? I always though it was
almost the ideal- though in close quarters, I use a Rollei 3.5/75mm TLR with
a Rolleikin ( Ooo! I heard a shudder out there!) But then I can't afford a
75 Summilux yet!
DP