Subject: [Leica] Re: rustling, bustling downtown Sioux Falls
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:52:11 -0600

Sam:

>Jerry, do you really have no sense that sometimes it's better to say
>nothing?

Actually, I appreciate Jerry's being honest and forthright in his
assessment.  I was soliciting opinions and critiques, after all.  If he
thinks the pictures are dull, that's his right.  And I'm glad he chose to
share his opinion.

Sonny:

>Six and seven are my favs.  Six, because of the formal way you presented the
>shot, and seven, because it has so much going on it in.

(6)  http://canid.com/sf_temp/old_reflecting_new.html
(7)  http://canid.com/sf_temp/old_mill.html

Thanks.  Those are my favorites, too.

Phong:

> I wonder if Eric prefers to live closer to nature.

I do enjoy being in a small town.  What's really funny to me is that the
people who were born here consider it to be a big city.  Granted, it's the
largest city in the state, but we're a 4 hour drive from the nearest Leica
dealer.  :)

> All in all though, especially 7, shows very careful composition.  Eric, do you like Joel
> Meyerowitz ?

Thanks.  I'm not familiar with his work, but I did find his website.  I do
like what I've seen so far.

Jim:

> The thing that strikes me most is the silence that these convey

I hadn't noticed that while I was taking the pictures, but when I had the
negatives on my light table, that sorta jumped out at me from this grouping.
I'm glad somebody else noticed.  :)

Daniel:

>Yep, looks the same way it did in the seventies :)

Heh.  Probably the only thing that's changed is the statue of David.  I
don't believe it's been around that long.  From my understanding, it caused
quite a ruckus, and some locals thought it should be wearing a fig leaf.  Oh
the horrors of having a naked statue!  :)

Gene:

>Wait a minute, guys...Remember this is Sioux Falls, there are probably no
>more than 3 people there in the first place. ;-)

Over the weekend, we had our first homocide of the year.  A couple drunks
got in a fight and one ended up stabbing the other.  You can't completely
get away from it all, but in the last city I lived, the first homocide was
measured in hours after New Year's instead of in months.  So that figure
should now be reduced to 2...  :)

Eric

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: rustling, bustling downtown Sioux Falls)
Reply from sam <sam@osheaven.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: rustling, bustling downtown Sioux Falls)