Subject: RE: [Leica] rustling, bustling downtown Sioux Falls
From: Tim Atherton <timatherton@theedge.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:27:38 -0700

#1 and 2 are pretty close to hitting the mark - and I like them. But it's
almost like you are stuck in a not quite satisfying mid-point between one
single focus to the photograph and a multiplicity of things going on that
require some work on the part of the viewer - and, obviously, the
photographer, which is why, of course, it is by far the harder thing to do.

I was thinking more Lee Friedlander than Meyerowitz (especially #1 - cf.
American Monuments).

As has been mentioned - the sort of work more widely (and
mercilessly...)discussed over on Johnny's Streetphoto list , which is what
brought to mind Friedlander - three of his (close to genius...) photographs
that were discussed there last week:

http://www.masters-of-photography.com/F/friedlander/friedlander_mechanics_mo
nument_full.html
http://www.masters-of-photography.com/F/friedlander/friedlander_factory_vall
eys_2_full.html
http://www.masters-of-photography.com/F/friedlander/friedlander_factory_vall
eys_22_full.html

Your work has small echoes of his approach

tim a

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: rustling, bustling downtown Sioux Falls)