Subject: [Leica] Real world digilux 2 info Diglux beats Olympus
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:06:56 -0500

As some of you are aware I spent the last week at PMA.  The Digilux 2 is
out and works very well.  Controls are where you would want them and the
detents to take the camera in and out of auto exposure and auto focus
are easily found by feel and work well.  The "viewfinder" is a
reasonable compromise for an electronic camera and works well enough to
focus in low light.

But of course, image quality is what matters and in that aspect this
camera does very well indeed.  DIMA runs just prior to PMA and they
conduct real world tests on a lot of equipment.  The Digilux 2 was
pitted against the Olympus E-1 at 16X20 and was judged to have the
better image.  Criteria included things like artifacts and color
fidelity.  Trust me, the 16X20's looked as good as the medium format
stuff on film from Kodak and Fuji.

Some on the list will comment on the price.  That is what it is, my
comment would be that this is a tool that enables some types of
photography that are more difficult in the SLR world.  One example is
that the viewfinder can be used to look at the histogram: this confers
privacy and allows use in very bright conditions.

My comments would be remiss if I did not complain about the 400 ISO
limitation.  For serious work a you have to underexpose one to two stops
and work in RAW to bring back a useable image.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com