Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Bessa RF
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 03:19:48 -0800

On 2/14/04 10:40 PM, "Leonard J Kapner" <ljkapner@cox.net> wrote:

> Jim,
>
> I think you're right, considering the extended utility of the lenses.
>
> A proper set of fast M lenses in all currently available focal lengths
> retails out at ~$18K, 1/3 the estimated price of the digital body. At $6K
> the DM body would be extraordinarily expensive compared to the film body -
> probably double - but the Nikon D100 at ~$1,500 is over double its nearest
> film equivalent, the N80. And the D100 has been flying off the shelf.
>
> Considering that, Leica's pricing may not be out of line, unless the
> Cosina-Epson DM solution specs out better, has reasonable build quality and
> is priced at or near the current film Ms. Then there'd be a real tough trail
> for Leica to navigate...
>
> Am I right, Mark?
>
> Len

The Canon DSLR full frame now goes, 7? In two years 5 or 4?
So a rangefinder would be a whole new thing which might need to cast more.
Cosina though keeps it simple. How do their film bodies relate in price to
other film bodies? Cheap that's how. Great deals dirt cheap. A third to a
forth the price of other rangefinders or SLRs.
So if DSLR full frames are going for 5 then the Cosina rangefinder full
frame could easily be placed at 3 or 2.
But as Ted says such endless conjecture gets tiring.
I do like to exercise my psychic awareness though.
We can only guess. Throw tea leaves and pick up sticks.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland, Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/Catagorypages/PersonalWork.html