Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V26 #205
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:05:29 -0800

At 03:13 AM 2/14/04 -0800, Richard F. Man wrote:
>The Eposina though, is another story. They may do say 1.3x or even 1.5x,
>but what if Voigtlander-Cosina comes out with a 21mm effective 35mmish lens
>with full RF coupling? That will make a majority of M users happy for a
>while, if the picture quality is there.

Exactly.  I was just thinking how even if the DigiBessa sensor turns out to
be, say a 1.5x, it will be OK for me.  I've got a 35/1.4 'Lux ASPH.  35 x
1.5 = 52.5.  That lens will make a superb 50.  We can all use our 35mm
lenses as 50s.  And as Richard says, a 21mm-ish lens will become 35-ish.  A
21mm lens with a smaller image circle will be easier to design at a high
aperture than for full frame, so we might get an f/2 instead of an  f/2.8
or f/4.

Full frame would be best, of course.  (So would an affordable digital M
this year rather than in two!).  BUT if the image quality of the smaller
sensor is there, it's a trade-off between the cost of the full-size sensor
and the cost of an additional lens. I haven't heard many complaints about
the image quality of the Can*n 10D sensor.

Besides, having to buy one additional lens is a lot better than having to
buy all new lenses for a DSLR, not to mention carrying those beasts around.

- --Peter