Subject: [Leica] FS: Leica M5
From: "Daniel Kreithen" <dkreithen@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:37:54 -0500

I'm selling my Leica M5 black 3-lug body, SN 1353xxx (one of the "good"
ones, according to Krauter). It's just back from a trip to DAG, where a
number of adjustments/improvements were made - email for complete details on
this. Condition is exc, with slight generalized wear where one would expect
(under the film crank lever, on the left viewfinder side of the body front,
battery cap, baseplate). Most notable "flaw" is a number lightly engraved on
the baseplate. Vulcanite complete, but it has been expertly patched in a
very small area (about 5mm x 2mm). Shutter speeds right on, shutter is very
quiet, everything mechanical is very smooth. The light meter has been
recalibrated for currently available batteries. The eyepiece has been
replaced with an M6 style rubber eyepiece (very helpful for eyeglass
wearers, but the original metal eyepiece will be included). This body is in
better condition than what most people would call a "user", but not in
"collectable" condition. An excellent body for someone to actually use. As
you may know, the M5 is an excellent user provided you realize that the body
is larger than the standard M2-M3-M4-M6-MP, and it remains the only body
that provides shutter speed readout in manual exposure mode. The overhanging
shutter speed dial actually makes it more ergonomic than the classic design.
Build quality is what one would expect of a camera produced at Wetzlar,
before the cost-cutting rounds of the late 70s and 80s. Also includes
leather case and handstrap. JPEGs happily furnished upon request. Asking
$1200, and I will pay for ground shipping and insurance to anywhere in
CONUS. Other locations, please e-mail for shipping charges. Contact me at
dkreithen *at* hotmail *dot* com.