Subject: [Leica] Leica] was: Website updated don't throw away!
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@www.sonc.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 23:06:58 -0600

> Eric responded:
> > I'm cleaning up my office and going through a lot of old negatives and
> > slides.  I think I'm going to have to print your message and hang it up.
> > It's just so hard to throw away the ones that would almost be keepers.
> :)<<
>
> Hi Eric,
> I know you don't mean to throw them away! I hope not, unless they
> really are garbage and of absolutely no value.  However, your files
> are the most important part of your photographic life, because you
> don't know how your career will evolve and what may look like a
> worthless no content photo today, could be of your evolution ability
> some years down the line.

Such a good point, Ted.  Among the photographs in our wonderful collection
are the entire negative file  and hundreds of prints of a local photographer
who spent his career right here.   Of course, they are the test prints, and
those that were not quite good enough to give to the customer, sometimes
proofs that were not sold. He shot weddings, beauty pageants, stuff for the
sheriff, for the newspapers, almost anything that a guy living in a small
town could do to make a living.

The upshot is that it is a fabulous document of our little town's life from
about 1950 until the middle 70's.

We run shots from his work in the newspaper from time to time, and also do
exhibits in our library and in the Research Center Reading Room.

I really am glad he did not clean house!

Some of these shots were in his collection, and made it possible to make this
little documentary page on an event everyone remembers who is old enough.  I
am, because I was in college here then.

http://www.nsula.edu/watson_library/pipeline/

Regards,

Sonny