Subject: Re: [Leica] TOTALLY, COMPLETELY, AND UTTERLY OFF-TOPIC - A personal request
From: RUBEN BLĘDEL <ruben@rhodos.dk>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 10:04:57 +0100

Reminds me of an episode in the end of the 70ties - My school at that
time (8th grade) was a very conservative school and the headmaster a
very strict ultra conservative man. A demonstration in front of the
parliament building was arranged  by the Danish pupils organisation
and  pupils were allowed to go, according to the law, but our headmaster
wrote down the names of the pupils in a little black book in order to "
keep track of troublemakers, potential criminals and communist" for the
years to come. That pissed me and some friends so much of that we
eventhough we had no intention of attending the demonstration before his
statement, left for Copenhagen and the demonstration any way. It was not
one of (Nathans) rainy days but bright sunshine and something absolutely
magical had happened in Copenhagen that totally lost our focus on the
demonstration - a Burger King had opened - right on the main pedestrian
street in the heart of Copenhagen - Now this temptation in the days were
globalisation had not reached Denmark was to much - we had milkshakes -
fries -burgers - and  forgot all about our headmaster - and had he only
known he would have been proud ! Well anyway  a couple of years later,
and anothe School, I did get more involved  as  government cuts was
threatening our and many other Danish high schools to be closed. The
stronger High School Pupils Organisation was arranging a large scale
demonstration in front of Christiansborg our parliament building. a
couple of hundred thousand people was expected to come and as our school
was one of the schools that had put up a really heavy fight for not
being closed I was invited to be main speaker at the event. The
organisation had set up a speaker arrangement that would make even a
heavy-rock band green with envy, in front of the parliament - all the
students from my high school - teachers and parents were coming and I
was really nervous about the whole thing. (This time Nathan!) the
weather was also sunny - but as time passed on and only the pupils from
my school was there and not he hundreds of thousand we expected we was
contacted by a member of the organizing group from the High School
Pupils Organisation and he told us that someone had send out the
invitation to all the other schools but with a wrong date! So I was left
to speak to my friends - the students from my high school etc. all in
all around 300 persons. I did not panic but over reacted slightly as
something inside me told me that if I should reach more then the little
crowd in front of me I might as well take advantage of the huge speaker
set up and make a performance out of it. So like some south American
revolutionary freedom fighter I delivered my message so loud that it not
only made the windows in the parliament building shake, it was heard all
across town, and actually by a few members of the government that had
not left the building to get away from the noise. Our school was never
closed - and the majority of the other high schools survived to, even
though the never reached to the demonstration. And for a lttle while I
had a good feeling about democracy.
Ruben