Subject: Re: [Leica] 32 bit digital cameras
From: Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 14:03:46 -0500

Henning Wulff wrote:

> Most digital cameras have sensors that capture more than 8
> bits/channel, but most reduce this to 8 bits to be able to output the
> files as JPEGs. That's standard JPEG, as understood by most of the
> industry, not JPEG2000, which can handle high bit images, but is
> understood by few programs.
>
> Cameras that can output RAW, or NEF, or DCR output more than 8
> bits/channel. Generally 12 or 14 at this time. Software is then needed
> to convert that to a useable 16 bit/channel file that Photoshop can
> deal with, or reduce it to 8 bits than any program and the web can
> deal with.

Photoshop can read 48 bit TIFF files -- indeed the TIFF format is the
only one I use with Photoshiop (7/CS) as it can save layers, alpha
channels etc. It is unfortunate that the cameras don't save in TIFF
format directly, but in any case one might consider converting from a
device dependent RAW TIFF colorspace into a device independent
colorspace (e.g. Adobe1998/ProPhoto etc.) for editing purposes.

Jonathan*

*who exclusively uses digital Leica products, the Digital M3 -- Tri-X
etc. souped in whatever and scanned into Photoshop -- 5400 x 7000+ x 48
bit resolution for under a grand :-))

Jonathan

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com> (Re: [Leica] 32 bit digital cameras)
Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] 32 bit digital cameras)