Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: MP vs. M7
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:34:53 -0800

Eric said:
Subject: [Leica] Re: MP vs. M7
> In my mind, the main difference is that the M7 has AE and an
> electronically-controlled shutter, whereas the MP has neither.  This means
> that the MP doesn't need a battery to take pictures.  The M7 does.
>
> I recently experienced my M6TTL having temporary battery failure from the
> temperature.  It was too cold for the battery to operate normally and/or
the
> battery was getting ready to die, anyway.  I'm glad that my Leica is
> battery-optional.<<<<<

But Eric don't you keep a spare battery in your bag or pocket for all
battery using or operated cameras you use?

I can never understand why a "battery" using M7 isn't as good as any other
Leica because of a battery making it work. Besides there are a couple of
mechanical shutter speeds in a moment of panic if caught with a powered down
battery.

And if the user is a properly prepared photographer-user he or she will have
a battery in pocket or bag for immediate replacement as quick as a new roll
of film.

And as far as battery or no battery and a Leica not being able to work in
the cold that's not much of a problem with a spare or knowing how to keep
the camera as warm as possible while not shooting. And that's inside your
parka or jacket until the moment of making an exposure. Pull it out, shoot
and return!

I've had all mechanical M4's stop "cold" in the arctic and even on the
western plains at minus 40 even while attempting to keep them inside my
jacket, but when a situation is happening that you don't have any choice but
to keep shooting and they're in your hands or hanging off your neck going
back and forth in use they eventually freeze in your face.

So each time I see a post of battery concern about an M7 operating or not, I
immdiately do a mental check re "spare battery? " I smile cause I know
exactly where they are. ;-) And I use 3 M7's and have two spares for each!
:-) No only that my good fortune is I've never had a battery problem of any
fashion. :-)

Comes from my days of learning as a Boy Scout... "Be Prepared!" ;-)

ted

Doctors' Work.
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant