Subject: Re: [Leica] Negative cutting solution
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:44:06 -0500

At 08:04 PM 1/22/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I need, as most do, to cut my negs. The problem is the space between the
>(M3) frames is sometimes very very tight. I've found a pair of scissors
>that does the job properly 98% of the time, but still I occasionally
>truncate a frame. The problem is worse when the shots were in very low
>light and the negative has close to no density. Not only am I uncertain
>of  my blade's precision, but also I can't easily find where the edge of
>the frame would be.

Count the sprockets between the frames where you can see.  If you know that
it's 2 sprockets to the left of the last number, you'll know where to cut.

>Does anybody have a suggestion, such as a brand of scissors, other types
>of cutters, or anything else?

I've tried all kinds of automatic cutters but scissors still work
best.  The  commercial film processors get it wrong all the time when they
depend on automatic cutters.  Use your eyes.

>(Please don't tell me Photoshop cuts real nice between frames, I need
>things in my life I cant 'save a copy as...')

Photoshop can fix anything ;-)

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com